The Sparkling Blueberry

February 20, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Change These 5 Things For A Greener Home In 2018!

Change These 5 Things For A Greener Home In 2018!

You might not agree with me, but I think even small changes can lead to significant difference in our environment, and I find this especially true when it comes to living a greener, more sustainable life. A lot of people think that if they change some of their bad habits – like not using a straw, or collect trash separately – that will not be enough to show real results on the big scale. But if everyone changes just a little, it all adds up and really really matters for our planet. So follow me and ditch these thing in 2018 for a happier, healthier and greener home!

How to have a more sustainable home?

Switch from bottled water to a water filtering jug

In our household the biggest issue is bottled water. We’ve got used to drinking bottled water while living in Dubai (where you should not drink tap water), and then we carried this bad habit with us to the Netherlands and then to Hungary, and it got even worse when our son Adam arrived because we were “too lazy”(shame Shame SHAME) to always boil water for him, so we started to buy bottled baby water too. Even though we recycle the bottles, it’s still a huge thing, that we create that much of trash with something so stupid. We were thinking about installing a water filter system under our kitchen sink, but it’s quite pricey and since our current home is not ours, we decided to invest in a water filter jug instead. These cans are a great solution, if you drink a lot of water, and you want to have the healthiest option in an eco friendly way. The jugs are having an inner carbon filtration system that helps to eliminate limescale, heavy metal residues, pesticides and other chemicals (except hormones 🙁 ) and some of them even removes all kinds of bacteria.

Say no to plastic bags and embrace reusable options

It’s not just about shopping, but also storing your food and stuff at home. Even though plastic bags are seeming to be  easy solutions, – because we always have some laying around,- be strong and opt for other alternatives. Reusable fabric shopping and sorting bags are wonderful and eco-friendly, just don’t forget to always have some in your bag/pocket. Storing and freezing food can be also greener with reusable options; you can use beeswax wraps rather than plastic sandwich bags, or washable plastic free food grade silicon bags for freezing or storing your snacks.

how to have a more sustainable home

via allsharktankproducts.com

DIY cleansing products mean less trash and less chemicals

It might be one of the hardest switch, as you have to say goodbye to store bought cleansers and laundry products and spend time to actually make them, but it worth the effort. Making your own cleansers are not only greener but also more cost effective than buying all those bottled cleansers over and over again (with no option to recycle as recycling stations doesn’t accept bottles of chemicals, even if washed…). So dig into LittleGreenDot’s DIY household cleanser recipes, or check out this post and video on how you can easily simplify your cleansing to using, baking soda, vinegar, citric acid and a few more natural ingredients.

Make friends with wooden and bamboo tools

Plastic dishwashing sponges, plastic brushes all around the house (from your toothbrush to the brush you use to scrub your floors), plastic dusters and brooms, synthetic wiping cloths all end up at the landfill once you are done with them…and stays there for more time than what would you – and probably your offsprings too- spend on this planet. It only needs a little effort to get rid of these unnecessary plastic items and use compostable, biodegradable options, like wooden brushes, a bamboo toothbrush, cotton wiping cloths (cut up your old cotton T-shirts, and you have a year worth of cleaning supply).

how to have a more sustainable home

via redecker.de

Compost, compost, compost

If just once, you would analyze what does one bag of trash you’ve created is actually made of, you’ll be shocked how much of that could’ve been avoided. Composting – even if you have no green thumb whatsoever – is easy and effective way of cutting back on your negative impact on our planet. Rather than putting all those leftovers (fruits and veggies, coffee grinds, tea bags and tea leafs, cardboard, tissues, cotton and wool rags) into a – almost never biodegrading – plastic trash bag, you’ll give back to mother nature and could live a much more sustainable life. There are dozens of ways to have a compost bin -indoor or outdoor- you just have to find the alternative that suits you the most. If you are not comfortable to share your kitchen cabinet with a box with dozens of earthworms, you don’t have to, you can seek more sophisticated options such as communal composting, or machines like this.

What do you think, could you implement any of these changes in your life?

Featured image via huyen. on Unsplash
0 likes LIFESTYLE # , , , ,
Share on: / / / /

23 thoughts on “Change These 5 Things For A Greener Home In 2018!

1. Vicky says:

I love using my water jug filter! I also try to use reusable bags when out shopping now. I have to admit that I don’t compost – so I really need to work on that!

1. annaszoke says:

Vicky You are already doing much more than the average human. I’m super proud of you!

2. Ana De-Jesus says:

I completely agree that sometimes all you need to do is make a small change especially when it comes to changing your way of life i.e being sustainable. I am ethical and cruelty free but I know there is so much more that I can do in regards to sustainability!

3. Joline says:

I agree, if every person in the world did a tiny change, it will definitely make a huge impact. We always bring refillable water bottles when we go out so we’re not forced to buy bottled water. And yes to reusable bags too!

4. Dee Samaan says:

Sometimes non chemical is better. Take vinegar, it a great cleaning item. Suddenly everyone is using it. All it takes is one small change to make a difference

1. annaszoke says:

Vinegar is definitely the Holy Grail of a green household….oh and baking soda too 😉

5. Rose Mont says:

I just started hearing about the beeswax but that silicone bag has my interest too. I did use vinegar and baking soda for my oven last week actually. I don’t use many bottled water and drink mostly from the tap. I have seen lots of composting options and would be open to that too. I absolutely would be happy to have a greener home.

1. annaszoke says:

I’m happy to hear that Rose thanks for sharing!

6. Jhilmil says:

I so much agree, most of the trash is of water bottles and I’m happy that we have filtered jug for the water and no bottles. I yet need to make a switch 100% to reusable bags, thanks for reminding.

7. alisonrost says:

I’m so glad to read that you’ve moved away from plastic water bottles and onto a filtration system. I study holistic nutrition and my latest class was on the endocrine system. I had no idea the effects plastics can have on our body. Plastic in water bottles is one of the biggest culprites, especially if we’re drinking from them when it’s warm outside. (The heat leaches so many more chemicals into the water). Who knew? x

1. annaszoke says:

You are so right Alison….I felt guilty all the way while using bottled water, especially that I’m so careful with what I eat, or what I put on my skin etc. and then I fall into this trap just because of comfort.

8. Denni says:

these are such a great tips ! I try to go more and more green but sometimes I fall in to the easy way trap! Do you have cleaning diy cleansing products recipes/ tips?

1. annaszoke says:

Dear Denni, I found this link incredibly helpful and full with easy to make DIY products I hope you’re gonna like them https://www.buzzfeed.com/delaneyratzky/7-diy-household-cleaners?utm_term=.ikkjg07jD#.lne4e5j4g

9. hhabeck says:

These are all such great tips — they’re such easy fixes! I definitely want to switch to a filtering water pitcher instead of plastic bottles in the future. I’d have a hard time ditching some of my favorite store-bought products, but little by little I’m hoping to go more green! xx

10. Maria says:

Love this , I spend ways thinking of ways for me to eating healthy, and working out but but never think about what I can do to keep the earth healthy. And yes these are simple thing I can use in my daily life little things but makes a big difference.

11. Laura Dove says:

We have a compost heap which is something I was always told to do by my parents, having one as we grew up. Its a small change you can really put into practice.

12. I would really like to implement composting into our life, as I already do all the other things you mentioned. I just don’t know what I’d do with it? I’ve been wanting to start a garden, but just haven’t found the time in my hectic schedule… Hopefully one day soon we can find a moment to plant some veggies

13. toastycritic says:

Using more wooden tools and doing the compost are definitely things I could do to help have a greener home. I kind of don’t think about those things sometimes and I really need to.

14. Our Family World says:

I tried composting once but did not follow through. I guess I should do it again. We dug a hole in the backyard, deep enough to put a wooden crate in and that is where we put our table scraps, vegetable and fruit peels, and other biodegradable wastes. We kept it covered with a wooden board but somehow the “unwanted” animals got to it. I guess we should think of a heavier material to cover it.

15. Chinedu says:

Yes! So true I do some of these already but I could recycle bags more and use wooden/bamboo tools. It is true that every little helps especially if we all make a collective effort.

16. Alok Rana says:

I really like all the changes you just have mentioned above. I personally would like to change my habit from water bottles to water jugs or filter. That could reduce the mess lying around in my home.

17. zsofessz0413@citromail.hu says:

Nice tips:) This is my favourite post:)

18. Sarah says:

The bottled water one is hard for me, as I used to drink a lot of soft drinks, so I have started switching to water when out and about. I need to start bringing my own drink bottles with me.